My very first project done on Adobe Illustrator! My teacher wanted us to experiment with a few tools, so I only ended up using the brush and pen tool. But that's okay because I think the composition is well done. There's unity in the colors and some of the shapes and there is a balance between the positive and negative space. Adobe Illustrator definitely became one of my favorite things!
The art piece to the left was another school project where we needed to come up with a composition that demonstrated the six different ways of depth: overlapping, diminishing detail, size variations, values darkening, linear perspective, and placement. As time went on, I started experimenting in Photoshop and seeing what I could change or add to a piece I had already done. That is where the next two pieces come in. It's pretty cool how even with monochromatic color schemes, you can still create the illusion of space. Then, with the final piece, I took the ninja from a different piece of art and added it into this one. It was kind of fun mixing and matching my artwork. Digital art is very cool and there is so much to learn!
Both of these were done in Illustrator and the one to the left was actually an assignment to help students understand one-point perspective. I enjoyed doing this project so much that I decided to do it again but try and make it a little more complicated.
This was a project done as a junior in high school. The Warren Central Athletic Department wanted me to design a few posters for them expressing their "C.O.R.E." values. These are the designs I came up with and these posters are still on the walls to this day!
In my junior year of high school, my teacher gave a handful of students a task of designing a poster for the "May of Miracles" event. This event was coordinated by the Papa John’s in the Indianapolis area alongside the MIC Network. Out of the students given this project, my poster design was chosen. Flyers were hung in every Papa John's around the Indianapolis area. It was also printed onto large banners that were hung up in every school in the Warren Township school district.
The other image is of a business card that I designed on Adobe InDesign as well.
I am a huge martial arts fan and have been training in martial arts for most of my life. I was once on a demonstration team where we practiced throwing ninja stars. The different shapes and types of ninja stars inspired this piece. Along with the inspiration of the stars being different shapes and sizes, I thought it would be fitting to add zentangles inside them. Zentangles have their own uniqueness and this why I wanted to add them. Once the stars were complete, I wanted to add an extra element This would be the watercolor marks which are a couple of yin-yang symbols and a dragon in the middle.
For this project, I searched for an image of an old martial arts dojo. When I found one, I went into Illustrator and painted the image using a few brush tools. I also used the pen tool for the windows to make sure they were even and consistently straight. There were some details I changed from the original image such as the ground, some of the colors, and I added more trees.
The four images below are thumbnails of the full art piece.
Another project I was able to do for someone was design the front of a postcard for these three schools.
During my senior year of high school, I knew someone who always did poly work for his art and I thought it looked amazing. I was inspired to try my own poly piece and so I came up with this composition in Photoshop and then transferred it into Illustrator. Once I was in Illustrator, I decided to just go for it! I may have made it too detailed, but it still looks pretty cool.
This project was actually done on a canvas with acrylic paint. I tried to splatter the paint in a way, but when I was done, I realized that it was going to be more complicated to draw the silhouette onto the canvas, so I decided to go to Photoshop! I used Photoshop app on my phone and placed the figure, added filters, and the vignette. It's crazy how much you can change a single piece with a few clicks!
I really wanted to create a piece that shows how many of the arts in the martial arts world interact and may be similar to one another. Even though, this is nowhere near the amount of arts there really are, it does show how each art is a part of something bigger altogether.
This was a project where I was able to show the different characteristics of a black belt. The black belt itself does not make you a black belt; it's the mentality, discipline, and attitude that make up a black belt.
In 2018, I was able to take an Adobe Illustrator class for dual credit. One of the many projects we had to complete was recreating an animal with only three colors. I chose otters because I thought they would be a challenge and it could still look realistic with only three colors.
From the Fall of 2017 to the Spring of 2018, I had the privilege of not only designing a few t-shirts, but also learning how to screen print. I did not get to print these designs, but they were both approved and loved by the clients.
For this low-poly project, I wanted to choose an image that not only had a variety of colors and senses of movement, but I wanted the image itself to be different than everyone else’s. During the class, I noticed most people were choosing to do an image showing the full body of their animal. I knew right away that I wanted to do an owl and luckily for me, I found this awesome picture of a close up.
Before this project, I had never done a vector portrait. Honestly, I wasn’t a big fan of drawing people with traditional media, so I had never thought to try it digitally. My second semester of college, however, had changed my perspective on drawing people completely. As the semester went on, I started to like drawing people whether it be with charcoal, pastels, or digitally. I definitely would like to do more of these projects in the future.